Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation

Nav Aids and Buoys

Skip Navigation LinksHome / Boating / Nav Aids & Buoys

Navigational Aids

Navigational Aids provide boaters with information in the same way that drivers obtain information from street signs and traffic markers. This includes buoys, beacons or fixed objects that are used to mark obstructions to navigation or to direct navigation through safe channels. Navigational Aids are generally installed by a government agency. To request placement of a Navigational Aid, please contact the agency responsible for placing aids in that waterway.

Waterways Agency Responsible for Placing Navigational Aids
All tidal and ocean waterways, including the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain US Coast GuardLeaving New York State Parks
Waterways within the Adirondack and Catskill Park Regions NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)Leaving New York State Parks
Barge Canal System

NYS Canal CorporationLeaving New York State Parks

All other waterways in New York State

Office of NYS Parks, Recreation and Historical Preservation (OPRHP)

Floating Objects

Most buoys and markers in the water, other than Navigational Aids, are considered floating objects and may require a permit to place. Common floating objects include bathing beach markers, speed zone markers, information markers, swimming or diving floats, mooring buoys, and ski jumps.

Floating objects permits are issued by the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation (OPRHP), except within the waterways of the Adirondack and Catskill Park regions, where it is the responsibility of the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)

*The placement of the floating object must not violate any local town codes and/or ordinances. It is the responsibility of the applicant to be aware of any local restrictions or requirements.

Maintenance and replacement floating objects, as well as permit renewal, is the responsibility of the permit holder. Anyone may apply for a floating object permit if they meet the criteria outlined in the application checklist and in the issuing flow chart.

Municipalities may apply for a Floating Objects Permit at no fee. Special Markers are included in the Floating objects permit.