Winter Nature Programs
Nestled in the heart of Smithtown, Caleb Smith State Park Preserve is one of only two state nature preserves on Long Island. Within its 543 acres are a variety of habitats offering guests picturesque views that change with the seasons. Caleb Smith is a passive use park. This not only helps protect the local plant and wildlife populations but also allows visitors to escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and enjoy the quiet serenity that can only be found in nature.
- The Nature Museum has been recently renovated and showcases natural history exhibits including a Great Blue Heron, Red Fox, Flying Squirrel and a River Otter.
- Take a gander as you meander along the hiking trails for some of our rare plants like Pink Lady Slipper, Trailing Arbutus, and Indian Pipe.
- Nature programs are offered, for all ages, year round. Tiny Tot programs are geared for 3-5 year olds and occur on a bi-weekly basis. Programs for children are suited for those ages 5 and up. Family programs are designed for ages 5 and up but younger siblings are always welcome. Adult programs are offered to those who are 18 and older. Reservations are required for all programs.
- Bird watchers will delight in the variety of feathered friends found in the preserve, such as Prothonotary Warblers, Virginia Rails and Osprey to name a few.
- During winter months the snowy landscape is crisscrossed not only with animal tracks but also with cross country ski and snowshoe tracks.
- Fly fishing on the Nissequogue River is available from April 1st to October 15th (NYS freshwater fishing license and reservations required).
- Children, 15 and under, are invited to fish on Willow Pond from April 1st to October 31st.
- Meeting space available for environmental use at reasonable rate, call for details.
Find more about park permit information
For information on educational opportunities & programs in Long Island State Parks, please visit Long Island Environmental Interpretive Center.
Please Note: Pets, Bikes and Picnics are not permitted.