April 09, 2009
Press Contact:Angela Berti716.278.1799
State Parks Announces 2009-10 Operating Schedule Changes for the Niagara Region
Park Patrons Urged to Take Note of Changes for Woodlawn Beach, Boat Launches
The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation today announced changes in the 2009-10 operating schedules at a number of parks and historic sites in the Niagara Region. The changes reflect a reduction in state spending at parks and historic sites.
"State Parks, like all state agencies, is responding to the current economic realities. We have been charged with making many difficult decisions and the changes we announce today are among them," said Commissioner Carol Ash.
"By concentrating the changes to the shoulder seasons, off-peak hours or facilities where similar services are available nearby, we hope to minimize the impact on our patrons," said Ash.
While approximately 100 parks and historic sites across the state will see some reduction in services, Ash noted that no parks have been closed in full, and the daily entrance fee to the parks is unchanged. In addition, a number of changes coincide with park repair and rehabilitation projects.
Changes for the Niagara Region are outlined below.
- Four Mile Creek State Park: Campground and public facilities closed for the winter (October 18).
- Joseph Davis State Park: Early closure of park facilities (October 27).
- Niagara Falls State Park: Reduced days and hours of operation during the Spring and Fall "Shoulder Seasons" for the Park Visitor Center, Cave of the Winds tours, Park Trolley, and Niagara Gorge Discovery Center (hours vary during May through October). Next winter, the Visitor Center will operate on a reduced winter schedule, and the Discovery Center will close (October 25 to May 1).
- Niagara Gorge Parks. Early closure of public restrooms at DeVeaux, Devil's Hole, Reservoir, and Whirlpool State Parks (November 7).
- Woodlawn Beach State Park: Swimming beach closed for 2009. All park facilities will be closed from December, 2009 through March, 2010.
- Regional Boat Launches. Golden Hill, Wilson-Tuscarora, and Fort Niagara boat launches will close early (October 13).