Empire Passport Available Now
Your key to all-season enjoyment at New York State parks is the Empire Passport. This pass provides unlimited day use vehicle entry to most of New York's State parks and recreational facilities. Enjoy the
forests, the seashore, the lakefronts in your state parks... every day if you like, through all of New York State's beautiful seasons. Walk, picnic, bike... bring as many friends as your car holds! The Passport
provides access to 180 state parks, 55 Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) forest preserve areas, as well as to boat launch sites, arboretums and park preserves.
See where the Empire Passport is Accepted.
Empire Passports are available for different lengths of time; choose from one year, multiple-year or, the Lifetime Empire Passport now available for just $750. With no expiration date, buy it once,
and enjoy the parks forever!
All Empire Passport applications are processed first come, first served. Empire Passports are non-refundable.
Annual Empire Passport
Available for only $65*, the 2015 Passport is accepted now through March 31, 2016. (*A discount of $3 per passport will automatically be applied to the purchase of 25 or more Empire Passports. Orders of 50 or
more will be discounted by $6 per Empire Passport. Orders of 100 or more will be discounted by $10 per Empire Passport.
As part of our Adventure License program, Parks has teamed up with DMV to offer 3 beautiful "I love NY Parks" license plates that allow you to show off your pride and passion for state
parks and the great outdoors. One set (front and back) of these license plates are free for 2014 Lifetime Empire Passport purchasers and available at full cost to all other Empire Passport holders. To learn
more visit The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Please review the Empire Passport Guidelines for Use for all rules related to the Empire Passport Use.
Multiple Year Empire Passport
Frequent Empire Passport purchasers may be interested in a multiple year Empire Passport which is available for sale online,
by mail or telephone through our Albany Office. A 3-year Empire Passport may be purchased for $165; a 5-year Empire Passport may be
purchased for $260. Upon purchase, and at the beginning of the each calendar year thereafter, up to the number of years purchased (3 or 5),
you will be mailed an annual Empire Passport decal to be affixed to your vehicle. You do not need to contact our office unless your
address has changed. If it has, please complete our Change of Address form.
As a part of our Multiple Year Empire Passport program, Parks has teamed up with DMV to offer 3 beautiful "I love NY Parks" license plates that allow you to show off your pride and passion for state
parks and the great outdoors. One set (front and back) of these license plates are free for 2014 Lifetime Empire Passport purchasers and available at full cost to all other Empire Passport holders.
To learn more visit The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Lifetime Empire Passport
For loyal Empire Passport users, the Lifetime Empire Passport is now available! As an added convenience, the Lifetime Empire Passport will be issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles as
an icon that will appear on your New York State Driver License, Non-Driver ID or Learner Permit. This eliminates the need for a separate document. For a one-time payment of just $750, it provides an even greater
discount for day use vehicle entry than the annual or multi-year Empire Passport, with all the same benefits described below.
See where the Empire Passport is Accepted. With no expiration date, buy it once and enjoy the parks forever!
Apply Online today.
Special one-time bonus: Those purchasing a Lifetime Empire Passport can select to receive a free $100 State Park Gift Card with their order. The gift card can be used
at more than 8,300 campsites, 800 cabins and 50 cottages in many regions throughout the state and selected public golf courses set within some of the most beautiful state
parks in New York. The gift card has no expiration date, so you are free to escape, explore and experience all New York State Parks has to offer at your convenience. If
you prefer, you may also choose to not receive the gift card, just select "No thanks" during the ordering process.
I Love NY Parks License Plates
As part of our Empire Passport program, Parks has teamed up with DMV to offer 3 beautiful "I love NY Parks" license plates that allow you to show off your pride and passion for state parks
and the great outdoors. One set (front and back) of these plates are free for 2014 Lifetime Empire Passport purchasers and available at full cost to all other Empire Passport holders. To learn more visit
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Upon payment and verification by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles that your New York State Motor Vehicle Client ID has no pending holds*, a new Driver License, Non-Driver ID or Learner Permit
will be mailed to you with the Lifetime Empire Passport icon.
* To avoid delay, you may want to verify the status of your New York State Motor Vehicle Client ID at http://dmv.ny.gov/driverabstract/default.html.
Empire Passport Frequently Asked Questions
Is it too late to buy an Empire Passport?
- No, for your convenience Empire Passports are sold all year.
When does the Empire Passport expire?
- Annual, 3 Year & 5 Year Empire Passports expire March 31st of the following year or as printed on the decal. Lifetime Empire Passports do not expire.
Is this a 4x4 or fishing permit?
- No, 4x4 and fishing permits are exclusive to the Long Island Region. Information is available at Long Island Permits or at 631-669-1000 ext. 223 during
ordinary business hours.
I have a leased vehicle, how do I use the Empire Passport?
- Empire Passports are non-transferable and must be permanently affixed to be valid. The best option for a leased vehicle is to follow the replacement procedure outlined in the Guidelines for Use.
I'm selling my car, how do I get a new Empire Passport?
- You should follow the replacement procedure as outlined in the Guidelines for Use.
I don't have a car, how do I use the Empire Passport?
- The Empire Passport is only valid when permanently affixed to a vehicle. If you usually go with someone that drives you may place it on their car to still enjoy the benefits of the Empire Passport.
I have tinted windows; can I put the Empire Passport on my windshield?
- No, NYS Motor Vehicle Law prevents the Empire Passport from being affixed to the windshield. The Empire Passport can be seen through factory tint. If you have after-market tint, you may choose
to scrape off a portion of the tint the size of the decal and put your decals in that place from year to year.
How do I affix the Empire Passport decal to my motorcycle or boat which does not have a windshield?
- Free transparent plastic covers enabling affixing of the decal to the body of the motorcycle or boat are available upon request by calling 518-474-0458 during ordinary weekday business hours.
Is my online order confirmation letter acceptable for admission?
- No, the online order confirmation letter is not acceptable for admission. Only the permanently affixed decal or, the NY Driver License or Non-Driver ID with the Lifetime Empire Passport icon
will provide the Empire Passport vehicle use fee waiver benefit.
What happens to my Lifetime Empire Passport if I move out of state?
- Since you may legally only possess one valid driver license, when your New York State Driver License is relinquished to get your new state’s Driver License, you may apply through the
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles for a New York State Non-Driver Identification Card
on which your Lifetime Empire Passport will appear.
Can someone else use my Lifetime Empire Passport?
- Since the Lifetime Empire Passport is an icon on an individual’s Driver License or Non-Drive ID, it can only be used by that individual. That person need not be the driver,
but must be present in the vehicle.
Can I upgrade my current annual,3-year or 5-year Empire Passport for a longer term Empire Passport?
- Upgrades may be done by purchasing the new desired Empire Passport, then submitting a written refund request for the original Empire Passport to Empire Passport, State Parks, Albany, NY 12238. For
upgrades to a 3-year or 5-year Empire Passport, the original decal shall be retained. For upgrades to a Lifetime Empire Passport, within 10 days after receipt of the Lifetime Empire Passport, but no
later than July 1, patron shall return the current decal (intact or scrapings) to the Empire Passport, State Parks, Albany, NY 12238 with a written refund request. Refunds for existing year Empire Passports
will not be issued after July 1 of the current year. Those who wish to upgrade after July 1 are advised to wait until the following year‘s Empire Passport is available for sale and upgrade/purchase
at that time. Refunds shall be issued in full year increments only and only for the current and remaining number of years.
Patriot Plan Benefit
What: Pursuant to Executive Order 125 and in recognition of their commitment and sacrifices while in service, a member
of the New York State Militia or any branch of the New York State National Guard or military reserves who is currently
serving on active duty in support of the war on terrorism is eligible for one free annual Empire Passport for use by his or her
immediate family during deployment and/or for his or her own use when returning home.
How: Complete an ordinary Empire Passport application, attach a copy of the orders
(showing authorization/purpose/type duty code) calling the soldier to this active duty and mail it to Empire Passport,
Albany, NY 12238 or fax it to 518-486-7378 attn: Empire Passport. Once approved, a free Empire Passport will be mailed.
Applications are available online, by mail or at any New York State park.
Note: Annual reapplication, including submission of orders, is necessary as long as
this program is offered.